Translate

Friday, November 30, 2012

Aboriginal Inspired Sea-Scape

This year we are focusing on the cultures from Australia and New Zealand. Here are a couple of books illustrated by an Aboriginal artist in a contemporary dot painting style.

The 3rd graders looked at maps and globes before we first drew our abstract sea-scape with Australia, Tasman Sea, New Zealand then the Pacific Ocean. They then traced over their drawing and created different weighted lines.  This created more interest and added to the movement. Next we watched Perpetual Ocean (1080p HD)  an animation of the ocean's currents created by NASA.  They then drew movement lines to represent the currents around Australia and New Zealand with water based markers.  We then painted over the lines with water and last water color using a wet-on wet watercolor technique. 


After comparing Aboriginal dot paintings with other styles of Aboriginal art we were able to identify the dot painting style.  We watched this youTube video called Aboriginal art dot painting being demonstrated by an Aboriginal artist. 



Students are enjoying this process and making many connections.  All of their art is looking great!  Keep up the good work!

5 comments:

  1. Nice work! I liked your paintings! I am also into Aboriginal Art which inspires me to improvise my paintings. From how many years you are into art profession?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I am going on my 7th year of teaching. This was actually from 2 years ago. We all really enjoyed creating this piece. Thanks again for stoping by. I will soon be posting a new project that you may like as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!! I like your Aboriginal dot painting and I must admit that this is one of best Aboriginal Art paintings I have seen off lately. Even I love to do painting and I am trying to master this dot painting style.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! YOu just made my day. :) I find getting a rhythm when working works well with dot painting. Depending on the thickness of your paint you may need to dip more often but I found to get uniform dots I dip, dot, dot, dip, dot, dot etc. Some of my paints I can do more dots as well. Depending on your stick's diameter you can get larger or smaller dots. I'm sure you already got that figured out though. Thanks for stoping by!

      Delete